[Gale] 1月15日关于Orpheus Descending的报道,里面提到Gale的QAF试镜,9楼更新他要唱的歌词

本帖最后由 dormouse 于 2010-1-16 16:23 编辑

http://www.lastageblog.com/2010/ ... ennessee-ascending/

Gale有关部分的翻译如下

We start with Gale Harold as Valentine “Snakeskin” Xavier. It would be more polite or conventional to start with one of the ladies, but Snakeskin and perhaps Harold himself are anything but conventional. Williams describes this Orpheus as “having a wild beauty about him,” a drifter who “can burn a woman down.” Wow!

我们从Valentine “Snakeskin” Xavier的扮演者Gale Harold开始。也许礼节上或者传统上应该女士优先,可是Snakeskin,或者Harold本人,从来不墨守成规。Williams描述这个Orpheus (俄耳甫斯歌手,善弹竖琴)说他“具有一种野性美”,是个“能让女人融化的浪人”。哇!

As you know Harold from his television and film work, he certainly has the wild beauty and burn ‘em down business pretty well handled. Among his many roles, he’s been the lead Brian Kinney on Showtime’s hit series Queer as Folk, Susan Meyers’ lover on Desperate Housewives and Wyatt Earp on HBO’s Deadwood.  But, did you know he began as an intern at A Noise Within?

看过Harold的电视和电影作品,大家都知道他能把这种野性美和女性杀伤力诠释得非常好。他演过不少角色,包括Showtime的热门电视剧QaF里面的主角Brian Kinney,DH里Susan Meyers的爱人,HBO剧集Deadwood里的Wyatt Earp。 但是,你们知道他在A Noise Within(加州一个剧院)做过实习生吗?

]Harold’s memories may be even more recognizable to theatre actors. “We were doing Cymbeline at LATC, he recounts, “and I was getting to that stage in my career where I was thinking New York or Chicago. I wasn’t a good auditioner in LA. I hadn’t mastered the Shurtleff style. But, my manager wanted me to audition for Queer as Folk. It was presented more like a movie for cable so I went to read.

Harold的记忆可能对戏剧演员更加熟悉点,“我们在LATC(洛杉矶戏剧中心)演Cymbeline(辛伯林,為莎士比亞晚年作品)”,他说,”当时我开始考虑去纽约或者芝加哥发展。我在洛杉矶的试镜都不是很成功,我对Shurtleff 那一套(指的是Michael Shurtleff,写过《Audition(试镜)》一书,号称演员们试镜的红宝书) 不是很在行。 不过,我的经理让我去试镜QaF。 它看起来更像是给有线电视网(区别于美国的无线电视网)拍的一部电影,所以我想试试。”

“I didn’t care anymore. I didn’t care how I looked. I had $5 to my name and ran out of gas on the way to the audition. I had to hunt around in my car to find enough change to get there.

“我不在担心什么,不在担心我看起来怎么样。我的户头里只剩下5块钱,去试镜的路上连汽油都用完了。在车里翻遍了才找到足够的零钱(加油)才到了那。“

“I had seen the original British version of the show and I knew how an American would play the role-unapologetically OUT, take it or leave it. So I opened up my guns and let them blaze.  When I was done, I let them know ‘if you want me back, I can’t read Monday…I have to strike Cymbeline.’”

”我以前看过英版的QaF,也知道美国版会有大胆的演出,要不要由他们。 所以我去了,尽情发挥了一把。结束之后我告诉他们,”如果你们想要我,礼拜一我排不了戏。。。因为我得去给Cymbeline(辛伯林,為莎士比亞晚年作品)拆卸布景(strike,是戏剧界的行话,就是撤去(或拆除)(布景、道具等),theatre slang for the deconstruction of a production)。“

Harold is big on his coach Kim Gillingham. “I am fascinated,” he says, “by how she guided me to make choices amidst all the chaos and to find the feelings that allow me to hold onto those choices. At the end of last year, I called and asked her if she knew of something more rigorous that I could work on every day. She called back and recommended this play. Val. It was a very terrifying thought, and exciting.

Harold说起他的老师Kim Gillingham就高兴。 他说“她教会我如何在一堆混乱中做出选择,找到一种情绪能让我把选择坚持到底。去年年底的时候。我打电话问她知不知道有什么要求高的活,能让我每天都能投入工作。于是她回电话推荐了这部戏。Val。这真是可怕的想法,不过也很让人兴奋。”

“First and foremost, there are the words. He built this man’s way of speaking-’a peculiar talker.’ I’m from Atlanta and spent my formative years in Florida, Georgia and Alabama.  There’s French, Spanish, Italian and black culture. It’s phraseology.

“首要的,是剧本里的台词。他有种独特的说话方式。我出生在亚特兰大,在佛罗里达,乔治亚和阿拉巴马度过了很重要的一段时间。所以有法国,西班牙,意大利以及黑人文化交织在一起,这也是一种说话方式。”

“It’s like a symphonic arrangement and, when we’re all talking to each other, the strings play together on stage. They talk to each other with echoes of a mandolin or violin. As our director Lou Pepe says ‘it’s an incantation.’”

“就好像交响乐的安排方式,当我们相互交谈时,也就是乐器在舞台上合奏。他们用曼陀林或者小提琴的回声彼此交谈。 我们的导演Lou Pepe说“这是一种咒语。”“

Harold, that “younger man,” says “I have a 1001 fears. We can sit around on a blanket with some wine and grapes and get to them all. But mostly, when there’s such a great playwright, you don’t want to sully his adaptation of a myth that makes rocks cry.

Harold,那位”年轻人“, 说”我有1001种担忧。我们可以在一张摆满酒和葡萄的毯子上坐下来,面对它们。可是,面对这样一位优秀的剧作家和他改编的这样一部优秀神话(makes rocks cry,应该是来自圣经里的the stones would immediately cry out),你是不敢亵渎的。“

“There’s also the fear of the next trap - don’t play the metaphor. Val is a singer and a hustler…a man on the run, not a man with a lute serenading a nymph. I do perform ‘Heavenly Grass’ though, the most terrifying thing of all.” Terrifying perhaps because Williams wrote it himself. An ethereal ode to his audience.

”另外还有对下一个困境的担忧。 Val是一个歌者,一个精力充沛的人(没看剧本,暂且认为hustler是精力充沛的人的意思)。。。一个在逃的人,而不是一个拿着鲁特琴为仙女弹奏夜曲的人。最可怕的是我居然要表演‘Heavenly Grass’(在另外一个访问中,Gale说他会弹唱‘Heavenly Grass’)。“可怕可能是因为它是Williams自己写得。对他的观众来说是一曲轻灵超凡的颂歌

评分人数

• aswong

本帖最后由 dormouse 于 2010-1-16 13:48 编辑

下面是原文,报道很长,把Gale有关的部分highlight了一下,

Actors Denise Crosby, Gale Harold & Claudia Mason: Tennessee Ascending

by Geo Hartley  |  January 15, 2010

Orpheus Descending, presented by Frantic Redhead Productions, opens Jan. 15; plays Thurs.-Sat., 8 pm; Sun., 2 pm; through Feb. 21. Tickets: $25. Theatre/Theater, 5041 W. Pico Blvd., Los Angeles; 800.838.3006 or brownpapertickets.com/event/92508.

“Oh, you weak, beautiful people who give up with such grace. What you need is someone to take hold of you - gently, with love, and hand your life back to you.”
–Tennessee Williams

Who can forget the admonition to dear Hansel & Gretel to “Not look back!” as they fled from danger to a safer place?  The same again with Lot and his wife in the Bible.  And, so too, with Orpheus who descended into Hades to charm the gods with his sad songs so he could save his lady Eurydice and ascend back to life.

Poor Orpheus did look back, with resulting consequences for him and his lady.  Even the great mythmakers couldn’t agree if he was a hero (Virgil) or a coward (Plato). Getting him right has always been a complex journey.  Perfect pickins’ for our own Tennessee Williams who set this legend of repressed desires in the American South.

For Williams, his recounting of the myth centered on the power of passion, art and imagination to redeem life and return it to vitality. In 1940, Williams’ version became his first Broadway-bound play, aptly titled Battle of Angels. The critics, like so many infernal gods, sent him straight to Hades.

“I have always been pushed by the negative. The apparent failure of a play sends me back to my typewriter that very night.”  –TW

For 17 years and through five major rewrites, Williams finally got his play a better ascension on Broadway in 1957 under the present title Orpheus Descending. Two years later, he turned it into the film The Fugitive Kind starring Marlon Brando as Valentine ‘Snakeskin’ Xavier, Anna Magnani as Lady Torrance and Joanne Woodward as Carol Cutrere.

According to Williams, the play was the “emotional bridge between my early years and my present state of existence as a playwright.”  First loves are hard to forget, their songs and images play on in our heads.

So that we don’t forget…Denise Crosby, Gale Harold and Claudia Mason, under the direction of filmmaker Lou Pepe, are firing up a six-week run of Orpheus Descending for Los Angeles audiences, opening this Friday, January 15 at Theatre/Theater.

Who are these intrepid actors, where did they come from and why did they choose to ride Williams’ Southern Gothic roller coaster of a melodrama?  Let’s see…

“Some mystery should be left in the revelation of character in a play just as a great deal of mystery is always left in the revelation of character in life.”  –TW

We start with Gale Harold as Valentine “Snakeskin” Xavier. It would be more polite or conventional to start with one of the ladies, but Snakeskin and perhaps Harold himself are anything but conventional. Williams describes this Orpheus as “having a wild beauty about him,” a drifter who “can burn a woman down.” Wow!

我们从Valentine “Snakeskin” Xavier的扮演者Gale Harold开始。也许礼节上或者传统上应该女士优先,可是Snakeskin,或者Harold本人,从来不墨守成规。Williams描述这个Orpheus (俄耳甫斯歌手,善弹竖琴)说他“具有一种野性美”,是个“让女人融化的浪人”。哇!

As you know Harold from his television and film work, he certainly has the wild beauty and burn ‘em down business pretty well handled. Among his many roles, he’s been the lead Brian Kinney on Showtime’s hit series Queer as Folk, Susan Meyers’ lover on Desperate Housewives and Wyatt Earp on HBO’s Deadwood.  But, did you know he began as an intern at A Noise Within?

看过Harold的电视和电影作品,大家都知道他能把这种野性美和女性杀伤力诠释得非常好。他演过不少角色,包括Showtime的热门电视剧QaF里面的主角Brian Kinney,DH里Susan Meyers的爱人,HBO剧集Deadwood里的Wyatt Earp。 但是,你们知道他在A Noise Within(加州一个剧院)做过实习生吗?

Onto Denise Crosby as his Eurydice, Lady Torrance. You probably know she’s a part of the Bing Crosby family dynasty. She created the starring role of Lt. Tasha Yar in Star Trek, the Next Generation. But, did you know she was nominated for a Best Actress Ovation Award for her performance as Lil in Last Summer at Bluefish Cove which opened at Theatre Geo in 1994?

And, this Claudia Mason, playing the lonely and vulnerable exhibitionist Carol Cutrere. You may know her as one of the world’s top models and in the biz since she was discovered at age 13. She was also a Woody Allen favorite in the film Celebrity. But did you know she has her roots in off-Broadway theatre and is the daughter of Clifford Mason, playwright, novelist and critic for the New York Times?

“In memory, everything seems to happen to music.”  –TW

For these actors, there certainly has been a sweet soundtrack to their lives…especially in their memories of theatre and what keeps them attracted to working on the LA boards.

Crosby remembers the “most profound event that shifted everything was Tamara. We thought it would last three months and it lasted for years.” (Note: Tamara became Los Angeles’ longest running play.) “I started as understudies for Tamara and the Ballerina.  They generally didn’t take the understudy up into the main role because the understudy was too valuable, covering several roles.

“But, for me, it was the opposite of All About Eve. Our lead, Margot Bionne, knew she was leaving and purposely missed the night the producers were in the audience. ‘That way they can see you can do it,’ she said. She was right and I ran with it for months and months. So many industry people would come. It was then I got my audition for Star Trek.”

Mason calls herself the “classic Manhattan mix-black father, white mother.” She enjoyed her New York theatre days especially her success as the lead in the off-Broadway production of Boxing Day Parade. But, she’s happily settled in Los Angeles for five years now and was named Outstanding Female Actor in a Lead Role by Reviewplays.com for her work in the world premiere of Two Ships Passing at the Pan Andreas Theatre.

“You can be young without money but you can’t be old without it.”  –TW

Harold’s memories may be even more recognizable to theatre actors. “We were doing Cymbeline at LATC, he recounts, “and I was getting to that stage in my career where I was thinking New York or Chicago. I wasn’t a good auditioner in LA. I hadn’t mastered the Shurtleff style. But, my manager wanted me to audition for Queer as Folk. It was presented more like a movie for cable so I went to read.

Harold的记忆可能对戏剧演员更加熟悉点,“我们在LATC(洛杉矶戏剧中心)演Cymbeline(辛伯林,為莎士比亞晚年作品)”,他说,”当时我开始考虑去纽约或者芝加哥发展。我在洛杉矶的试镜都不是很成功,我对Shurtleff 那一套(指的是Michael Shurtleff,写过《Audition(试镜)》一书,对60和70年的百老汇戏剧有巨大的影响) 不是很在行。 不过,我的经理让我去试镜QaF。 它看起来更像是给有线电视网(区别于美国的无线电视网)拍的一部电影,所以我想试试。”

“I didn’t care anymore. I didn’t care how I looked. I had $5 to my name and ran out of gas on the way to the audition. I had to hunt around in my car to find enough change to get there.

“I had seen the original British version of the show and I knew how an American would play the role-unapologetically OUT, take it or leave it. So I opened up my guns and let them blaze.  When I was done, I let them know ‘if you want me back, I can’t read Monday…I have to strike Cymbeline.’”

Enthusiasm is the most important thing in life.  –TW

Why choose Orpheus Descending to perform?

Harold is big on his coach Kim Gillingham. “I am fascinated,” he says, “by how she guided me to make choices amidst all the chaos and to find the feelings that allow me to hold onto those choices. At the end of last year, I called and asked her if she knew of something more rigorous that I could work on every day. She called back and recommended this play. Val. It was a very terrifying thought, and exciting.

Harold说起他的老师Kim Gillingham就高兴。 他说“她教会我如何在一堆混乱中做出选择,找到一种情绪能让我把选择坚持到底。去年年底的时候。我打电话问她知不知道有什么要求高的活,能让我每天都能投入工作。于是她回电话推荐了这部戏。Val。这真是可怕的想法,不过也很让人兴奋。”

“First and foremost, there are the words. He built this man’s way of speaking-’a peculiar talker.’ I’m from Atlanta and spent my formative years in Florida, Georgia and Alabama.  There’s French, Spanish, Italian and black culture. It’s phraseology.

“首要的,是剧本里的台词。他有种独特的说话方式。我出生在亚特兰大,在佛罗里达,乔治亚和阿拉巴马度过了很重要的一段时间。所以有法国,西班牙,意大利以及黑人文化交织在一起,这也是一种说话方式。”

“It’s like a symphonic arrangement and, when we’re all talking to each other, the strings play together on stage. They talk to each other with echoes of a mandolin or violin. As our director Lou Pepe says ‘it’s an incantation.’”

“就好像交响乐的安排方式,当我们相互交谈时,也就是乐器在舞台上合奏。他们用曼陀林或者小提琴的回声彼此交谈。 我们的导演Lou Pepe说“这是一种咒语。”“

For Crosby, “It has to be challenging for me to want to do it. I’ve not done Tennessee Williams, and that is thrilling, a personal favorite. Imagine this Italian, this character who came to rural Mississippi with a mother who was ‘very fair.’

“It will be an eye-opener because people like to make assumptions about Italians, pigeon-hole everyone. Why not make Juliet black and Romeo blue?” And, in this case, Lady Torrance blonde. You go, girl…er, Lady!

Mason “almost had a vision of this staircase even before reading Orpheus Descending. I think Carol Cutrere is the soul of the play. Even when all the cattle are going in one direction, her spirit is not. All artists can relate to that.

“Carol stands for the blacks in the play. She took a stand and went the other way in this repressed racist town. All that, mixed with her sexual liberation. It costs her. But, she keeps running with the call of the wild.

“I think Carol and Blanche in Streetcar are Tennessee’s two greatest women.”

“Most of the confidence which I appear to feel, especially when influenced by noon wine, is only a pretense.”  –TW

With the excitement mounting for the opening of this production, the great enthusiasm the actors have is also mixed with the challenge of doing justice to Williams.

Crosby finds it a “very demanding emotional piece. He doesn’t write light frothy comedies. The challenge for me is to connect all those emotional through lines to what is the truth of the moment.

“So I had to do a lot of research on the history of the time…looking at photos and listening to a lot of music. Music is important here. Then, I could find what in my life to connect this to. It’s a big three-act play, with dialect. She’s very passionate, very full of life and experiencing a sexual reawakening with this younger man.”

Harold, that “younger man,” says “I have a 1001 fears. We can sit around on a blanket with some wine and grapes and get to them all. But mostly, when there’s such a great playwright, you don’t want to sully his adaptation of a myth that makes rocks cry.

Harold,那位”年轻人“, 说”我有1001种担忧。我们可以在一张摆满酒和葡萄的毯子上坐下来,面对它们。可是,面对这样一位优秀的剧作家和他改编的这样一部优秀神话(makes rocks cry,应该是来自圣经里的the stones would immediately cry out),你是不敢亵渎的。“

“There’s also the fear of the next trap - don’t play the metaphor. Val is a singer and a hustler…a man on the run, not a man with a lute serenading a nymph. I do perform ‘Heavenly Grass’ though, the most terrifying thing of all.” Terrifying perhaps because Williams wrote it himself. An ethereal ode to his audience.

”另外还有对下一个困境的担忧。 Val是一个歌者,一个精力充沛的人(没看剧本,暂且认为hustler是精力充沛的人的意思)。。。一个在逃的人,而不是一个拿着鲁特琴为仙女弹奏夜曲的人。最可怕的是我居然要表演‘Heavenly Grass’(在另外一个访问中,Gale说他会弹唱‘Heavenly Grass’)。“可怕可能是因为它是Williams自己写得。对他的观众来说是一曲轻灵超凡的颂歌。

Like her haunting character, commenting on all the action, Mason muses that “when we’re ignited by something so great, by one of the greatest writers, there’s a whoosh - and, the fear mongers we all have, are there.”

“I have found it easier to identify with the characters who were frightened, who were desperate to reach out to another person. But these seemingly fragile people are the strong people really.”  –TW

Sounds like a good bet for theatergoers to enjoy these actors in a play about living bravely and honestly in a fallen world. Tennessee Williams began these themes here with his Orpheus and Eurydice and evolved them through the many works of his career.

Here’s hoping your feet take a walk in his heavenly grass.

评分人数

• aswong

就爱看这个,请能人继续翻译呀,虽然我也看懂一点,不过看着很累的样子了

坐着等待LZ的翻译,呵呵~:s34

把大叔形容得很贴切呀!

曾经处于低谷的时候也能这样拽,叛逆气质还不是一日炼成的{:3_239:}
谢谢dormouse发布和翻译~~~更期待关于粉丝报告了^^

曾经处于低谷的时候也能这样拽,叛逆气质还不是一日炼成的{:3_239:}
谢谢dormouse发布和翻译~~~更期待关于粉丝报告了^^
cora 发表于 2010-1-16 12:09

这一段帅呆了。。。就是看中这几句才想要把它贴上来的。。。

为啥我觉得Gale讨论剧本的那些话完全超过了我的理解力呀。。。

虽然看起来G受过苦,也处于低潮过很长一段时间,但我觉得他的骨子里就有一股贵族的气质,有一种贵族的血液在流淌,不单单是指相貌上的美,所以他总能自信和不羁,无论在任何时候都能以任何方式吸引人们的目光,哪怕是他默默不语的时候,身上也散发着一种独有的魅力,让我们只要认识了他,看到了他,就像喝下了一杯没有解药的毒品一样,对他欲罢不能……

评分人数

他要唱的Heavenly Grass的歌词,

My feet took a walk in heavenly grass.
All day while the sky shone clear as glass.
My feet took a walk in heavenly grass,
All night while the lonesome stars rolled past.
Then my feet come down to walk on earth,
And my mother cried when she give me birth.
Now my feet walk far and my feet walk fast,
But they still got an itch for heavenly grass.
But they still got an itch for heavenly grass.

youtube上的一个版本 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWaHKBW2NOg

的确轻灵超凡
大家可以配上Gale声音,自行想象一下~~~

1# dormouse

好神奇,我也要下下

让他去试镜QAF的经理真是伟人。。

7# dormouse
他...他...就经常这样,翻译他说的话还真得绕个弯 XD
读文学出身的人说话就是不一样呐{:3_248:}

他很出世,从来都是荣辱不惊,淡然处之。这种性格配上如此俊美的面孔,让人不禁质问,上帝,你是否公平

谢dormouse发布和翻译

2# dormouse

=  =有點難理解~不過還是感謝大大!

{:3_226:}……大叔说话怎么山路十八弯的绕……

{:3_213:}原来是读文学出身的……

他吃过这么多苦呀,哎!

大叔不是白在好莱坞混了这么多年的

感觉大叔试镜QAF时,是带着破釜沉舟的决心啊。。
机会总是在他该来的时候才会出现。。

Gale最大的魅力就是他的骄傲,就算再落魄,再贫困,他也依然是王子!
  I saw the face of God-Gale Harold

太长了,看的眼睛都疼了!

大叔,你花光所有钱去参加QAF的试镜真是太正确的选择了~

期待他唱的歌

Gale本人叛逆的气质与Brian是非常接近,而且更显成熟。Brian对于青春易逝,美貌不再一直怀着深深的恐惧,以至于多次想要自杀。Gale作为一名准备参加试镜的演员,却敢说“I didn’t care how I looked”。这是一种发自内心的自信,更是一种超然和洒脱。
好莱坞总是不乏这么有个性的演员,宁可接拍小众的低成本的独立制片作品,也不愿随大流拍那些所谓的主流商业大片。但这些个性演员并非个个都能像Johnny Depp那么出名,也许他们本人并不是很在乎出名与否,但这是个悖论,从事演员这一行,不够出名意味着你很少有机会甚至根本没有机会展现自己的才华。
找到两者之间的平衡点,不是一件容易的事。有时还真要靠点运气呢。

玩完美的G大

• 三国群英传私服
  •